Friday, June 5, 2009

American Pride

Well, it has been a busy day. Today was Chance and Triniti's last day in school. I got up early (like I always do) and made French toast for them (my day off). They will leave for WY and other areas with their other grandparents tomorrow for about 2 weeks. Grammy and I took them to school once more. Then we ran some errands. I met up with 5 guys from work (I'd tell you more but that would give away what I do) and talked business for about 10 minutes and then Grammy & I picked up Martha and Leo. Leo needed another high and tight hairdo before he goes to be with his dad late next week. Then it was off to Panda Express for a quick lunch but Leo didn't like the chow mien noodles and so proceeded to throw up what he had in his mouth. Yes, he was gaging and everything. Then we had to pick up Chance and Triniti from school as they get out at 1:25pm. We pulled up to see the whole school, teachers a few parents standing around the flag pole with a group of ROTC kids in uniform lowering the American Flag. What a Great Idea! We watched has they saluted as the flag was lowered and after the ROTC kids folded the flag the entire school sang You're a Grand old Flag! It was awesome to see these children being taught respect for our nations flag. Now, let me preach a bit here. I'm very patriotic being a retired Air Force man. Please as we approach the 4th of July take the time to review proper flag etiquette. Remember to salute the flag when it passes or it is being raised or lowered. There are several helpful web sites that give great information. Also remember when you say the Pledge of Allegiance, take a moment to remember the men and women of our military who have done more than pledge their allegiance, they have sworn to give their lives in the protection of our way of life. Not because it is convenient but because they choose to lay down the most precious thing they have, if required, their life for what they believe in. I'm proud to have served, I'm more proud of my Father and uncles who have served in their time. I'm extremely proud of my wife who served along with me in our time. However allow me some understanding as I say how PROUD I am of my Son for serving honorably in his time. How he served in Iraq and made it safely home and how he wants to go back in the Army and continue what he knows best. How I wish my other son, Micah and one of my daughters, Martha would have served as well, unfortunately due to health concerns they could not. Yet as their father I know their hearts and understand how hard it was for them when they discovered they could not wear our countries uniform. Thank you all! I get emotional when I see these wonderful men and women performing in parades, in drill teams or other times when it reminds me how much I love my country that produces such fine people. Tomorrow is the Hill AFB Air Show. I can't wait to see the aircraft, the displays and of course the Thunderbirds perform. Life is good isn't it? Again, remember to be nice!

No comments:

Post a Comment